- 1.1: Describe the customer service workplace.
- 1.2: Identify essential skill sets for customer service workers.
In this course, students will explore the role of customer service in business. By first looking at how customer service operates in organizations, students will then move on to examine how to build customer relationships and understand the customer. From there, this course will examine verbal and nonverbal communication, as well as ways to maintain professionalism. Students will also learn ways to problem solve, including dealing with challenging customers. They will examine the importance of developing telephone skills and understanding electronic media. The course also explores the importance of teamwork, time management, and healthy work habits. Finally, students will closely examine the customer service profession and how to develop your customer service career.
Parts of this course have been adapted by Barnes and Noble Education from the Customer Service course published and authored by Saylor Academy (License: CC BY 3.0). These parts include this course’s Readings. You can access the material at https://learn.saylor.org/course/cust105.
This course also includes additional content created by BNED and other third party sources under CC BY 4.0 Attribution License.
- 2.1: Summarize proper attitudes for effective customer service.
- 2.2: Explain steps to create favorable first impressions.
- 3.1: Review factors influencing purchasing decisions.
- 3.2: Distinguish between consumer wants and needs.
- 4.1: Identify types of verbal and nonverbal communication.
- 4.2: Describe elements of effective writing and presentation skills.
- 4.3: Explain the importance of nonverbal communication when working with customers.
- 5.1: Explore what exceptional customer service is in different contexts.
- 5.2: Explain how the service-mind attitude can improve customer service.
- 5.3: Demonstrate professionalism in difficult situations.
- 6.1: Apply critical thinking in customer service scenarios.
- 6.2: Explain how to use problem solving skills in assisting customers.
- 7.1: Describe methods for dealing with challenging customers.
- 7.2: Explain ways to improve customer retention.
- 8.1: Explain the key components of cross cultural communication.
- 8.2: Identify tactics in serving global customers.
- 9.1: Explain essential communication skills through telephone communication.
- 9.2: Define customer-focused listening skills.
- 10.1: Determine when to employ digital communication for customer service.
- 10.2: Analyze the challenges in using digital communication tools for customer service.
- 10.3: Discuss the use of nonverbal cues through digital mediums.
- 11.1: Explain stages of team development.
- 11.2: Examine causes of team conflict and resolution.
- 11.3: Propose tactics for productive teamwork.
- 12.1: Outline methods for effective time management.
- 12.2: Describe how a positive attitude can improve interactions with customers.
- 13.1: Identify employment resources and professional organizations.
- 13.2: Discuss employment trends in customer service.
- 14.1: List skills and traits for successful customer service workers.
- 14.2: Develop a professional development plan.
There are no reviews yet.